A domain name is essential to give your business a unique web address and online presence. The domain name you select should be unique, easy to remember and easy to type. The longer the domain name, the easier it is for people to mistype your domain name and not find your website.
You may choose to select a domain that is an exact match to your business name, a shortened version of your business name, or even an acronym. Alternatively, you might like choose a domain name that reflects the products you sell, or the services you provide.
DOMAIN NAME EXTENSIONS
Extensions are categories of Internet domain names.
- .com represents the word “commercial,” and is the most widely used extension in the world. Most businesses prefer a .com domain name because it is a highly recognized symbol for having a business presence on the Internet.
- .net represents the word “network,” and is most commonly used by Internet service providers, Web-hosting companies or other businesses that are directly involved in the infrastructure of the Internet. Additionally, some businesses choose domain names with a .net extension for their intranet Websites.
- .org represents the word “organization,” and is primarily used by non-profits groups or trade associations.
- .biz is used for small business Web sites.
- .info is for credible resource Web sites and signifies a “resource” web site. It’s the most popular extension beyond .com, .net and .org.
- .us is for American Web sites and is the newest extension. It has the largest amount of available names in inventory.
- .tv is for rich content/multi-media Web sites, commonly used within the entertainment or media industry.